Monday, November 7, 2011

French Onion Soup II

Granted, Josh isn't home yet so I haven't had the full French Onion Soup experience yet.

But based on the little taste I just had, the work to taste ration is perfect. Maybe even better than perfect because I get a warm bowl of soup in a little bit.

I'll add a picture, but you still have to imagine the taste.


this began as a nearly full pot of sliced onions.  Wanting to add a little complexity to the onions, I used 1 sweet onion, 3 yellow onions, 2 shallots, and 6 green onions.  I decided that 1 clove of garlic really meant one full reservoir in my garlic press.

The cook times in the recipe were all off for my stove.  I do, however, know when onions are caramelized.  (Caramelization is beyond sweating.  The onions start to darken and you get this beautiful and flavorful fond on the pan.  Usually it's on the bottom, but you can see some up the sides of my Dutch oven.  You want to scrape this up  and stir it in when you add the liquids.) And I can keep an eye and an ear on my pot to know when the red wine had evaporated.  I recommend this recipe, but you need to adjust for your stove. 

This dinner will be accompanied by beautiful salads.  Josh is your basic garden salad...red peppers, cucumbers etc.  My salad is garnished with red and gold baby beets and fried goat cheese. 

I wish Josh would get home.

happy cooking


2 comments:

  1. I swear I could smell the aroma when I saw this picture. I hope the soup tasted as awesome as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the description of you guys as salads. He hee.

    ReplyDelete