Monday, November 28, 2011

Date Night--11/28/11

We are back from a week visiting my family in SC.  I am slowly getting back into my routine.  I did do some cooking while away and I'm sure I will share those recipes with you.  For now, though, you'll have to be content with tonight's meal.

I bought whole boneless skinless chicken breasts on Saturday morning.  I took them out this morning for this evening's meal.  Then I searched for "chicken cutlets" on Epicurious.com.

This is what I found:

Ingredients

  • 4 (1/3-inch-thick) chicken cutlets (1 1/2 lb)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry vermouth
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream
  • 4 or 5 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
  • 1/2 extra-large chicken-bouillon cube, crumbled


  • Garnish: finely chopped fresh chives


  • Accompaniment: rice or mashed potatoes
print a shopping list for this recipe view wine pairings

Preparation

Pat chicken dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil and butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides. Brown chicken on both sides in 2 batches, about 3 minutes per batch. Transfer chicken to a plate and keep warm. 


Add shallot to skillet and cook, stirring, until tender, about 1 minute. Add wine and deglaze by boiling over high heat, scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half. Stir in cream, tomatoes, tarragon, and bouillon cube, then simmer, stirring, until tomatoes are softened and sauce begins to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 


Return chicken, with any juices accumulated on plate, to skillet and simmer until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes.
Serve immediately.

 I don't have any fresh tarragon left.  I'll see if I have any dried.  I may sub. dried oregano/basil instead.  I also don't have plum tomatoes.  I do, however, have a few of my own home-grown tomatoes left and a pint of grape tomatoes.  Hello dinner.

I will serve this with roasted fingerling potatoes and broccoli.

What are you having for dinner tonight?

happy cooking

1 comment:

  1. Your dinner sounds way better than mine. I'll probably have some fast food mess since this is my busy time at work and I'm too lazy to deal with anything else.

    ReplyDelete