Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Date night--11/2/11

Hmm...Kinda a palondromic date.  I like those.

So on to food.

Appetizer:  Figs, halved and wrapped in prosciutto, accompanied by taleggio (I don't know how to spell it)...a kind of ripe Italian soft cheese and these small pizzelle-looking crackers.

Cocktail:  I need to consult Josh's drink books.  I feel it needs to be Italian-esque to fit with the rest of our cocktail hour.

Main Course:  Filet Mignon.  Maybe I'll crust in peppercorns; maybe not. Josh requested peas for his veggie.  We will also have a small salad.  And the potato--well that's where I have to stretch my culinary skills.  I have a new recipe. Crispy Baked Potato Fans from Cook's Country.  I recommend looking at it on the website.  They offer some good tips with photos.

Serves 4
To ensure that the potatoes fan out evenly, look for uniformly shaped potatoes.
Ingredients Bread Crumb Topping Potato Fans Instructions
  • 1. For the bread crumb topping: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 200 degrees. Pulse bread in food processor until coarsely ground. Bake bread crumbs on rimmed baking sheet until dry, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then combine crumbs, butter, cheeses, paprika, garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in large bowl. (Bread crumb topping can be refrigerated in zipper-lock bag for 2 days.)
  • 2. For the potato fans: Heat oven to 450 degrees. Following photos 1 to 3 at left, cut 1/4 inch from bottom and ends of potatoes, then slice potatoes crosswise at 1/4-inch intervals, leaving 1/4 inch of potato intact. Gently rinse potatoes under running water, let drain, and transfer, sliced-side down, to plate. Microwave until slightly soft to the touch, 6 to 12 minutes, flipping potatoes halfway through cooking.
  • 3. Arrange potatoes, sliced-side up, on foil-lined baking sheet. Brush potatoes all over with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake until skin is crisp and potatoes are beginning to brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove potatoes from oven and heat broiler.
  • 4. Carefully top potatoes with stuffing mixture, pressing gently to adhere. Broil until bread crumbs are deep golden brown, about 3 minutes. Serve.

    I'll take a picture.  Maybe I'll even post it.


    So this is my dinner plan.  What's yours?


    happy cooking.
     

3 comments:

  1. What was the Italian cocktail? Something with Prosecco? All I can think of is a bellini, but that seems rather summery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was not so much an Italian cocktail, but it was listed in the "French-Italian" section of my favorite of Josh's drink books. It's called a Martinez. I'll post the recipe in a future blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With a Spanish name. Interesting. And you need the zeros for the truly impressive palindrome (11-02-2011)

    ReplyDelete