Saturday, June 19, 2021

 DateNight happened a few days ago.  I promised more details.  

Let's begin with cocktails.  They always happen, but are never a part of Instagram postings.  I made Josh a gimlet.  No picture, but I can share the recipe.  It's super complicated.  Are you ready?  3 ounces gin. 1 ounce Roses lime juice.  Shake vigorously and strain into cocktail glass.  It has to be Roses.  It's not a gimlet with fresh lime juice and simple syrup.  Bartenders these days want to convince you that it is. They are wrong. This is not a complicated drink (I was just teasing before). Don't make it something it's not.

Now my drink is different.  I am trying to enjoy smaller drinks and fewer of them, so I picked up this:


It was tasty.  Mild in flavor...Think LaCroix.  Did  it have any "kick?"  Think LaCroix.  It was refreshing.  At 3.6% ABV it was very light weight.  I could see myself enjoying them at a bbq or other outdoor event.  It was a happy experiment at 2 WW points.  I get just as "buzzed" though from my 0 point Diet Cranberry and club soda.😏  That's 0%  ABV.

Now on to the appetizer. I really enjoyed this.  So much, in fact, that I enjoyed Josh's too.  He was less enamored.


He did like the onions.  No surprise, they were Vidalias.  He didn't love the tomatoes.  I think that's because he is already anticipating my tomatoes. They are still a ways off, though.  I think the grape tomatoes will begin to be ready in a few weeks.  The Romas are slow coming in and the heirlooms won't be ready till September most likely.  I guess I should wait on tomato centric anything until my own are ready.

Main Course.  I asked Josh what he fancied for this week.  He said, "What about fish?"  I have prepared fish at home in the past.  We don't like (me especially) fishy fish.  I don't like my house to smell fishy.  But white fish are mild and frozen tilapia hardly smells at all.  So that's what I bought.  

WW had a recipe for tilapia crusted in potato flakes.  You read that right...instant mashed potatoes.  (I actually already had that ingredient.  It made fantastic "fried" chicken."  That's a recipe for a different time, though.)  It was okay.  There was a layer of seasoned mayonnaise between the fish and the potato flakes.  I have a love-hate relationship with mayo.  Mostly hate.  I just don't like the stuff.  In the end, I will make tilapia  again.  I will seek out a different recipe though.

I had planned broccoli with this meal as it was supposed to come in my produce subscription box.  But it didn't.  In fact the box, which is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, didn't arrive till  Wednesday.  That also lead to dessert modification. More on that in a minute.  I always have frozen veggies.  So we had green beans.  (I had broccoli, but I prefer green beans.  The broccoli was only because I was supposed to get fresh.)  I roasted some little gold potatoes for Josh as well.

Dessert.  I actually wrote a recipe for dessert.  When I have perfected it, I will share.  This was not a perfect dessert in my book.



These are fruit stuffed wonton wrappers.  First, I wrote the recipe to have roasted cherries.  Had my box arrived as scheduled that's what they would have been.  Since it arrived late, I improvised with what a I had.  Peaches and blueberries.  A lovely combination, really.  I don't think it s visible from these pictures, but the bottom was very soggy.  Too much cooking spray is my guess.  I was modifying a savory stuffed wonton recipe that directed the pan be well sprayed.  In the future, I will spray less and bake on my sil-pat or parchment paper.  Also, as seen in the second picture, I think I over stuffed them.  Had I the cherries, I think I could have (by trial and error) achieved the correct "fullness."

I have the cherries now and I still have a lot of Wonton wrappers, so I will be working on this.  When I am satisfied, I'll share my recipe with you.

That's what's been cooking in my kitchen.  How about yours?

happy cooking :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment