Friday, July 22, 2016

Pinterest may be killing me

So  this was an "off" Friday for me as far as the ministry goes.  I feel like on the Fridays I'm not in service, I should accomplish something worthwhile at home.

I'm not sure if this is really the right idea.  I end up killing myself (not literally, of course) with some tedious chore.  This makes my weekends tough.  Really, though, we are a couple who prefers to do nothing on the weekends, so maybe it's not too bad.  Just keep telling me that, please.

But Pinterest!  I both love it (recipes!!!) and hate it (cleaning!).  It makes me aware of ways to clean things I didn't really know needed to be cleaned and teaches me how to do it better.  Frankly, doing it all would be "better", right?

So I scheduled in my head that today was going to be Kitchen Day.  I told Sweet Husband that today was going to be Kitchen Day.  And you know what?  Today was Kitchen Day!!!!

It started with a bang!  I got to see something gross get clean right before my eyes.  I can show you.  It's really gross. Ready?

 

Greasy Dirty Vent




Squeaky Clean Vent

How'd you do that, you'd like to know.  Baking soda and boiling water! At least that's what I was supposed to do.  But I didn't have a stock pot large enough to hold the vent.  No problem...that's what my sink is for.  So I filled my kettle and put it on to boil.  But then this happened:


I actually saw the plastic melting.  This is is really a gross piece of kitchenalia.  I have this fairly new and definitely beautiful kitchen.  And then there is that ugly, disgraceful piece of poop on my cooktop.

NOT ANYMORE!!!  Meet Chantal (I didn't name her...it was on the box.  I swear!)


She's so pretty...looks like she belongs in my kitchen.

So back to my icky dirty vent.  I poured what boiling water I could on the vent.  And it worked!  But not everywhere.  So out came my Blue Dawn and a gentle brush and the rest is history.  All the icky grease fell away.

Left my sink kinda dirty, but that's okay.  I cleaned, polished and shined my sink!  Things you didn't know you could/should do, right?  It involved more baking soda, flour, and olive oil.  (Not all at once...that makes bread.) In three discrete steps with rinsing and drying in between.  Looks pretty good, but not picture worthy.  (How did I know to do this?  You got it! Pinterest!)

I also cleaned the outside of my cabinets.  Don't get me wrong, I knew where there was some greasy smudges.  I was aware.  And I was mostly happy to turn the lights on so I couldn't see them.

But then I saw on Pinterest how to clean them.  And I had everything I needed.  Water, check.  Blue Dawn, check.  Something to wipe with, rinse with and dry with?  Check, Check, Check.  I really didn't have an excuse not to do it.  Except that I'm short.  And my cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.  I cleaned as high up as I could get on my tip toes.

Did you know you could you use Turtle Wax to polish your stainless steel appliances?  You can. I love the way my appliances look, but they are a bear to keep clean.  Drips on the dishwasher; fingerprints on the oven, microwave and fridge; and food splatter on the cooktop.  So I use Pledge mostly to keep them clean.  About once a month, I really clean and buff them.  Today, I actually bought Turtle Wax (previously I was using their Clean and Wax product...this time I went right for the big guns).  I think they look pretty good.  They'd look better if I could get my brawny husband to do the buffing for me.

Anyway, I'll sign off with a picture of the fridge.  Tell me what you think.



kristen out



No comments:

Post a Comment