Monday, October 31, 2011

Parmesan Chicken Sticks

Let's get this out of the way first.  I know I've been absent.  I warned you that historically I've not been good at this.  I went to the doctor on Thursday (after the Pizza post) and found out I have a sinus infection.  So I slept on Friday.  Plus Josh was home sick and playing his game on the computer.  And I didn't cook.  Nothing to share.

And I make it a point not to do much cooking on weekends.  Preparing for a marathon cooking day is always an exception.

So that gets you up to speed.

Dinner tonight is Parmesan Chicken Sticks...an Ina Garten creation. (Sidebar:  I once told my mom that I want to be Ina Garten when I grow up.  She told me I already am.  BEST compliment ever!)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts (3 to 4)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • Unsalted butter
  • Good olive oil
  • Bamboo skewers (6 to 10 inches long) or ice-cream sticks

Directions

Lay the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice each diagonally into 4 or 5 large strips.
Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. Beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water on a second plate. Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan on a third plate. Dredge the chicken breasts on both sides in the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and roll in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly to coat.
Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook the chicken strips on medium-low heat for about 3 minutes on each side, until just cooked through. Don't crowd the pan. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. Serve each strip on a skewer or stick.
You can keep the chicken breasts warm for about 15 minutes on a sheet pan in a preheated 200 degree F oven.

 So changes I will make.  I actually have chicken tenders.  I also have Locatelli Romano cheese in addition to parm.  I will likely use a combo.  Save with Panko and my regular Italian seasoned bread crumbs.  And since we're  both adults, I'll skip the skewers.  In this episode of Barefoot Contessa, Ina was cooking for a family with 2 young daughters.  I will also make my gravy and a side of spaghetti.  Josh can't have chicken parm in any form without a side of spaghetti.  

So that's what I'm making tonight.  How about you?

happy cooking.

1 comment:

  1. I think I made something like this once, but maybe a Rachael Ray version? Skewers sound dangerous for children anyway. (They'll poke an eye out or something)

    ReplyDelete