Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Date Night--10/26/11

So tonight is Date Night.

Appetizer:  I have just roasted most of a head of garlic. Yum.  I will serve that with melted Lingonberry preserves and crostini.  We had something similar to this at a restaurant downtown.

Cocktail:  Likely Manhattans.  Possibly Martinis.

Entree:  Josh's favorite flank steak.  This was a part of the cooking extravaganza from earlier this week.  Because neither of us really likes our meat cooked passed medium rare, we will be eating this at room temperature.  Additionally I will be making the wild mushroom and shallot "ragu" that accompanies this dish on Epicurious.com.

This will be accompanied by smashed red bliss potatoes.  I cook these in chicken stock (sometimes beef).  I think it infuses the potatoes with some extra flavor.  I also salt and pepper the potatoes while they are in the stock.  I add sour cream (a hefty spoonful for 3 lbs of potatoes) and 4-6 T butter, melted.  If the potatoes seem to need it, I whip them with my immersion blender.  I will make these ahead and keep them warm over a pot of simmering water.

I will also steam some broccoli.

Dessert:  I'm very excited about this.  I made chocolate souffles.  Individual ones.  8 of them.  And yes, this is actually a do ahead recipe.  The bake from frozen and can stay in the freezer for up to a month.  If I am pleased with the result, I will post both the recipe and a photo tomorrow.  I like knowing that I have future Date Night desserts ready.  And I know that our best friends would be happy to share as well.

That's my dinner plan.  What's yours?

happy cooking, kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment