Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Date Night--Monday July 28--Last one in Old Kitchen

So I wanted to send the kitchen out with a big bang.  Baked cookies for the fabulous folks and lows and the crew actually doing the work. And then I wanted to do a final, great date night.

Now if you've been following my Date Night blogs for any time, you know that rule #1 is that we eat at the table.  Check out my table:



What was I to do?

A little creative thinking led me to this:


I served dinner in the "lounge" (that's what we call the study when we aren't using it for study).

And what did I serve?

Josh made Manhattans and I made a barbecue chicken slider to share for an appetizer.


For our meal, I made the "best flank steak" Josh has ever eaten.  I also made salt and vinegar roasted potatoes.  For the green portion of the meal, I roasted green beans with red bell pepper and onion on the grill.


Recipe from LaaLoosh

Ingredients

  • 1 pound baby or fingerling potatoes, sliced lengthwise
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • Sea salt & Pepper

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees.
  2. In a small pot, combine the potato slices and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer until fork-tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool in liquid for 30 minutes. Then drain well.
  3. Dump the potato slices onto a sheet pan, spritz lightly with an olive oil mister, then sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss to coat.
  4. Arrange the potato slices in a single layer. Roast until lightly browned, about 25-30 minutes. Then flip the slices and broil until the underside is lightly browned, about 5 minutes more. Serve warm.
Josh found the potatoes a little too vinegar-y, but loved the consistency.  Next time (and there will be a next time), I'll cut the vinegar with water...probably 50-50/


Everything was really, really good.

For dessert, I grilled a peach, drizzled it with honey and served on a sugar cookie. I neglected to tale a pic of it.   That's okay though.  It was only so-so.

This is the last true cooking post for a little while, but just because I can't cook, doesn't mean you shouldn't.

happy cooking










No comments:

Post a Comment