Monday, June 3, 2013

Dinner with the In-Laws

Many of you know that my MIL had a stroke last year.  She is recovering, but it's slow going.  Cooking dinner is not one of the things she can do on her own yet.  I've heard tell, though, that she's a pretty good sous chef. :-)

Most  weeks, I try to bring a meal over to give everyone a little bit of a break.  Tonight Josh and I are not just bringing dinner to them, but enjoying it with them.

This is not as whole a menu as a date night menu would be (no apps or cocktails).  Really it's just dinner and dessert.

Main Course:

Chicken Milanese with Arugula Salad

Image of chicken Milanese with arugula salad

Ingredients

Instructions

  • In a small bowl, whisk together first four ingredients; set aside.
  • In a large salad bowl, combine arugula, fennel, onion and tomatoes; set aside.
  • Place chicken between two sheets of wax paper; pound until 1/3-inch-thick (to watch a video of this technique, click here). Rub salt and pepper into both sides of chicken.
  • Place flour in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowl, whisk together egg, egg whites, parsley and cheese.
  • Dip a piece of chicken into flour; turn to coat and shake off any excess. Next, dip chicken into egg mixture; turn to coat. Lastly, dip chicken into bread crumbs, shaking off any excess ingredients. (You want to coat the chicken very lightly, not cover it with a heavy crust.) Set aside and repeat with remaining chicken.
  • Coat a large skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Melt half of butter in skillet (do not allow it to burn); add two pieces of chicken. Cook chicken until coating is golden, flipping once, about 7 minutes; remove to a paper towel and cover loosely to keep warm. Off heat, recoat skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat. Melt remaining butter in skillet; cook remaining pieces of chicken.
  • Toss salad with dressing. Sprinkle chicken with lemon juice and serve topped with salad. Yields 1 piece of chicken and 2 cups of loosely packed salad per serving.
My mom made this wonderfully yummy tomato mango salad while I was in SC with my family a few weeks ago.  The ingredients are tomatoes, mangoes, shallots and basil.  It gets tossed with a very light vinaigrette.

I may bring broccoli, too.  I don't think one can have enough veggies in a day.

Dessert is my clafouti.  I didn't love it, but everyone else did.  And I have the cherries.  I will be bringing the batter in food storage container along with the cherries.  I'll bake it there.  It takes an hour.  I'll bring ice cream too.

That's what's cooking in my kitchen.  How 'bout yours?

happy cooking




No comments:

Post a Comment