Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Almond Apricot Oatmeal Cookie

I have exciting news to share.  My mom is coming to see me for a whole week in May and my dad for a fat weekend!  I am totally psyched about this.  I'm not sure that my parents have ever come to see me for this long (maybe when I was in the hospital...but I don't really remember a lot of that.)

When I saw my mom in SC in February, she tasked with modifying an oatmeal cookie recipe using Splenda and apricots.  I did a passable job then...she seemed to like them.

But I had other ideas.  Things I wanted to try. So I wrote a recipe yesterday.  I've modified recipes before, but I think I can take credit entirely for this one:




Almond Apricot Cookies

Ingredients

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream brown sugar and butter. Add next 4 ingredients (egg through baking soda) and almond extract. Mix in flour until combined. Now stir in the almond meal/flour and the minced apricots. Drop cookies by 1 tsp measure on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 12-15 minutes until cookies are golden brown. Cool 1 minute on pan and then completely on cooling racks.

Mom remembers a similar cookie she had in California.  Apricots and almonds intrigued me.  In February, I just did a simple swap--chopped apricots for raisins, nutmeg for cinnamon, almond extract for vanilla.  Yesterday, I ground some almonds.  I thought that might amp up the almond flavor (I think it did) and added unsweetened apple sauce.  That just made for a very flavorful, moist/chewy cookie.

All in all, I'm pleased with the results.  Problem is, I can't eat just one.  Three seems to do the trick though.

happy cooking


No comments:

Post a Comment