Tonight, however, is another story. I've been planning this one since Sunday, and I'm kind of excited about it. It's a very classic, very comfort food kind of a menu.
Wanna know what it is? Okay, I'll tell you.
Shrimp Cocktail--I bought these stemless cocktail glasses a few months ago. I think I'll put the shrimp and a wedge of lemon on the rim and the cocktail sauce in the middle. Pretty, right?
Manhattans--Whenever I say "classic" you can bet we're having Manhattans
Salisbury Setak--I made this once before but didn't make the patties thin enough. Josh thought the sauce/gravy was spot on. I figured it's time to try again.
- 1lb extra lean ground beef (96% lean)
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 packet dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups fat free beef broth
- 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a medium sized bowl, combine ground beef, ½ of the onions, breadcrumbs, egg substitute, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, onion soup mix and pepper.
- Shape into 8 oval patties. Spray a large nonstick skillet with an olive oil mister or non-fat cooking spray and set over medium high heat. Brown both sides of patties, about 3-4 minutes each side.
- Remove patties from pan, and then return pan to heat. Add in remaining onions and mushrooms, and 1 tbsp of the beef broth, and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Return the Salisbury steak patties to the pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining beef broth, remaining Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, flour, and mustard powder.
- Pour into skillet over the meat, turn heat down to medium-low, cover and cook for about 20 minutes.
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Low calorie, Reduced fat, Reduced carbohydrate, High protein
Number of servings (yield): 8
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 Salisbury Steak patty with sauce
Each serving = 3 Points +
PER SERVING: 126 calories; 3g fat; 12g carbohydrates; 15g protein; 1.5g fiber