Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Date Night--May 1, 2013

Uno De Mayo?

I've been bombarded by all of these yummy sounding recipes in preparation for Cinco De Mayo celebrations on Saturday.  But Saturday is Derby Day!  What's a girl to do?

I realized late morning/early afternoon that Derby Day is the fourth.  Sunday is actually Cinco De Mayo.  Consider this a retraction and or correction.  Thank you for your patience with me.

Well this one is making a fresh Mexican meal tonight.

Let's start at the top of the evening with Appetizers/Cocktails.

I made really yummy fresh lime Margaritas on Monday (8 points!!).  Probably it's what I'll do tonight.

I also made homemade guacamole.  And PopChips has just launched a nacho cheese flavored corn chip.  Picking up what I'm putting down?

Now to dinner.  Gina as SkinnyTaste.com has been going crazy with these yummy and easy recipes.  Here's what I've come up with:

 Easiest Crock Pot Chicken Salsa Verde Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 3 • Weight Watcher Points+: 3 pt
Calories: 145 • Fat: 2 g • Carb: 5 g • Fiber: 0 g • Protein: 26 g • Sugar: 0 g
Sodium: 415 mg (without the salt) • Cholest: 0 mg

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 lbs raw skinless chicken tenders
  • 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/8 tsp oregano
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin
  • salt, to taste
  • 16 oz roasted salsa verde (I used Archer Farms)

Ingredients:

Season chicken with garlic powder, oregano, cumin and salt and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Cover with salsa verde, cover and cook HIGH 2 hours.



Remove chicken, shred with 2 forks. Remove 2/3 cup of liquid from the slow cooker, and discard (unless you want it over rice). Place shredded chicken back into the crock pot with remaining salsa, adjust seasoning to taste if needed and keep warm.




I think I'll accompany it with this recipe (also from SkinnyTaste)

Chipotle's Cilantro Lime Rice




 

I am a huge fan of the rice at Chipotle's. Here is my copycat version, it tastes just like the real thing. Of course, I used less oil. Makes a wonderful side dish for chicken, beef or pork.

Make your own burrito bowl, with my quick black bean recipe, barbacoa beef, sweet barbacoa pork, pork carnitas, chicken ropa vieja.


Chipotle's "Skinny" Cilantro Lime Rice
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes 
Servings: 4 Size: 3/4 cup  Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 5 pts
Calories: 201.0 • Fat: 3.4 • Carbs: 37.4 • Fiber: 0 • Protein: 4.0 g


  • 1 cup extra long grain rice or basmati rice
  • 1/2 lime, juice of
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
  • 3 tsp vegetable oil

In a small heavy pot, add rice, water, 1 tsp oil and salt. Boil on high until most of the water evaporates. When the water just skims the top of the rice, reduce to low and cover about 15 minutes. Shut off flame and keep covered an additional 5 minute.

In a medium bowl, combine chopped cilantro, lime juice, rice and remaining oil and toss until completely mixed.

Now for dessert.  I really don't know.  Dole just came out with these dark chocolate covered banana slices.  I have a coupon.  If they have them at the market I'll get them.  I wonder how Josh feels about it?  I can always get him some kind of bakery treat.  Yeah...that's what I'll do.

That's Date Night dinner at the Saxe's for 5/1/13.

Happy cooking!





2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Skinnytaste recipe for "un-fried" ice cream (or frozen yogurt)? I'm itching to try that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I want a Derby Day post, please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete