Monday, December 24, 2012

Monday night dinner with Grandma...12/24/12

I'm making meatloaf.  How exciting.  I know, it's probably the most boring meal in the world.  But it's hot.  It's "cozy."  And most importantly, it's classic.

And guess what I'm serving with it?  That's right, boys and girls, Mashed Potatoes.  These will be a little more on the whipped side because the last time I served Grandma mashed potatoes, she questioned the "lumps" and said they needed more salt.  I'm nothing if not flexible.

So I'm off to start preparing the vegetables for the meat loaf.  I like to saute the veggies first.  This time (I never make it exactly the same way) we'll have shredded carrot, celery, onion, and green pepper.  All in a small chop or mince.  I may throw a little garlic in for good measure.

When the veggies are done with their "steam, " I'll add a small can of tomato paste.  When the veggies have cooled, I'll add an egg (or 2) and some bread crumbs.  Then I'll add the ground beef to that mixture; form it into a "loaf" and  top it with a glaze of Ketchup, Dijon, and Worcestershire sauce.  I'll reserve some of the glaze as a "dipping" sauce.

Now to the potatoes.  As I always do, I'll  cook them in stock with a heavy dose of salt and pepper.  After draining them, I'll mash them by hand and add butter and sour cream.  After mashing them some more, I'll pull out my immersion blender and "whip" the pants off my tators.  At this point I'll add some snipped chives and have Josh taste for S and P.

To round out the meal, I'll grab a bag of frozen veggies from my freezer.  Maybe green beans; maybe snap peas.  I can't plan everything this far ahead of dinner.

That's what I'm cooking today.  How about you?

happy cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to find you back!! I missed you.
    And we love meat loaf and mashed potatoes...even though it sounds uninspiring, it's a good, hearty "basic" meal. :)

    ReplyDelete