Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Date Night--December 17, 2014

The kitchen remodel hasn't killed date night.  Just the blogging about them.  But here I am, ready to share tonight's menu.

Let's start at the beginning.

Cocktails and Appetizers

We love our Manhattans.  They were the signature drink at our wedding.  They are the signature drink in our home as well.  Really, we do have a "House" Manhattan.  Traditionally a Manhattan is made with Rye Whisky, Sweet Vermouth, a dash or so of bitters an garnished with a cherry.  You will find them widely made with Bourbon instead.

What do we do at the Saxes?  We go half and half.  The specific "brands" if you will vary and the results vary as well.  The current mix we have is really, I mean REALLY good.

Larceny small batch bourbon, ang High West rye.

Along with our cocktails, we'll be having the absolute easiest appetizer in the world.  It's  good thing, because dinner was kind of taxing.  Mentally mostly, but we'll get there in a minute.  Are you ready for it?

Chicken salad stuffed into Tostotos  Scoops.

I told you, this was easy-peasy.  It's Marriano's rotisserie chicken salad stuffed into Tostitos Scoops. Yum!

Dinner

It's not finished, so I can't post any pictures.  Josh requested Beef Stroganoff.  I've never eaten it and certainly have never made it.  And I am still trying to do Weight Watchers so a creamy, beefy dish seemed to be pushing it.  Plus he's working so far away that I've gotten into a crock pot kind of a place for date night so we're not eating at 9:00.  A

I found a Weight Watchers, crock pot, beef stroganoff recipe.

I know!

Pinterest is a wonderful think.

I did do a little more research online, and doctored the recipe a little, and plugged it all into the WW recipe builder and came up with a recipe.  If it meets Josh's approval, maybe I'll post the recipe later.

Dessert

This is a real winner.  I found a recipe for lemon cupcakes.  Easy recipe.  Box of lemon cake mix, tub of Greek lemon yoghurt, and a cup of water.

I can't leave well enough alone, can I?  I amped up the lemon flavor.  I added the zest of a lemon to the cake mix and its juice to the water.  (I kept the liquid to 1 cup.)

To top the cupcakes, I candied some Meyer lemon slices. Josh never gets anything frosted these days.



Aren't they cute.

That covers date night this week. 

happy cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment