Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Crock Pot Cookery

So on Tuesdays Josh and I enjoy an hour of family worship together.  Before we eat.  By the end of our study session, we frequently are ready to eat the furniture. 

Thus it behooves us if I can have dinner ready for immediate consumption.  Alas, I have grown weary of meatloaf and pasta casserole as they have been my go to meals on Tuesday.

Not anymore!  In the same week that I got my Feb. Real Simple magazine featuring crock pot meals, I saw (and purchased) a "slim" crock pot recipe book in line at the grocery store.

Dinner tonight?

I shall tell you.  This came from RS.  Pulled pork open face sammies!

It's already on!  Dice an onion, mix with brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce,  a little vinegar, some Cajun seasoning and tomato paste.  Coat the pork shoulder with "sauce," place the meat on top and let her go.  8 hours on low or 4 on high.  10 minutes prep.  That's it.  Shred the meat with 2 forks before serving.

RS recommended serving this with a broccoli slaw.  Their recipe involved purchased slaw veggies and a mayo based dressing.

I didn't have those things.

I did have broccoli.  The florets are for our date night tomorrow, but the stem was up for grabs for tonight's dinner.

I had a carrot. Some green onions.  Celery.  What could be shredded, I did. The rest I sliced as finely as I could.  I mixed in some minced parsley to freshen it up and then started to work on the dressing.

Apple cider vinegar, olive oil, celery seed, a smashed clove of garlic, some Dijon, and sugar.  Shake, and voila! vinaigrette completed.  Dress you veggies and you have a nice "garbage" slaw.  I call it that because it was made up of the veggies I had on hand.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds pretty good. How big a pork shoulder? Probably the slaw will be the real hit since you totally made up the recipe yourself.

    ReplyDelete